Sounds and Colours Launch 10th Anniversary Fundraising Campaign| 18 May, 2020
At the end of last year we began making plans for our 10th anniversary, which would largely consist of a party and a fundraising campaign, with the intention of celebrating ten years by making Sounds and Colours an even bigger and better resource for Latin culture.
The party has since been sidelined, but we refuse to let the pandemic get in the way of what we think, especially after speaking to many of our frequent collaborators and supporters for their input, is a noble goal, that of making Sounds and Colours even more valuable and ensure that we can continue to support the Latin cultural community well into the future. At times like this, when musicians, film-makers and artists have lost many platforms for exhibiting their work, we want to be certain that we can continue to help.
So, we’ve launched a 10th Anniversary Fundraising Campaign, that you can find on Indiegogo. We are using the campaign to raise funds so that we can:
- improve our website – a long-overdue update to create the ultimate resource for Latin American music and culture. We will make content easier to find, fix errors and improve the look. There are thousands of articles, including important research into Latin culture on our site, but it’s not easy to find. We need to resolve that.
- publish 10th Anniversary book – to celebrate our anniversary we are putting together a brand new publication, featuring articles and photos from across Latin America, looking at the continent’s music, film, art and social movements
- launch a membership scheme – to be able to offer premium content (i.e. podcasts, in-depth research articles, online film screenings) we need a steady flow of income and are proposing a membership scheme to pay for that content. More details will be announced soon, but our plan requires a budget for initial costs as we look to build our subscribers.
- keep running Sounds and Colours as we are – compensating for the drop in advertising revenue as a result of the pandemic we will put a small amount of our campaign’s earnings into keeping the site running as it is now
To make these goals achievable we have put together a glittering array of perks for your perusal, including:
- our 10 Years anniversary compilation, featuring 25 new, rare and unreleased tracks from across Latin America
- pre-orders of our 10 Years anniversary publication
- vinyl, CDs, DVDs, books and much more donated to us by the great people of Mr Bongo Records, Mais Um Discos, And Other Stories, Songlines, NYC Trust, ZZK Records, Peace & Rhythm, Discos Rolas, Movimientos and Soundway Records, amongst others
- some choice selections from the Sounds and Colours archives and my record collection
To find out more about the campaign and to help us achieve our aims head over to indiegogo.com/projects/sounds-and-colours-10th-anniversary-fundraiser
You can listen to our 10 Years compilation below (any purchases via Bandcamp will count towards our final target):
Follow Sounds and Colours: Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / Mixcloud / Soundcloud / Bandcamp
Subscribe to the Sounds and Colours Newsletter for regular updates, news and competitions bringing the best of Latin American culture direct to your Inbox.