Icarus Films To Release 8-DVD Box Set of Patricio Guzmán’s Documentaries07 August, 2015
Icarus Films have announced that they will be releasing a special eight-disc box set collection called Five Films by Patricio Guzmán, which will (not surprisingly given the title) feature five of the master Chilean documentarian’s seminal works. Filmed over more than 35 years, Guzmán’s films depict Chile’s path over that time, coping with political trauma and trying to come to terms with its history.
From The Battle of Chile, filmed in black and white, on 16mm film, in the midst of social upheaval and revolution, to Nostalgia for the Light, filmed with modern digital technology, filled with vibrant colors, poetic connections and introspection, Guzmán’s epic body of work is the unprecedented record of one country’s journey and one film-maker’s evolution.
The box set will include the following films:
- The Battle of Chile: Part One (1975), Part Two (1976) and Part Three (1978), the epic and universally acclaimed chronicle of Chile’s open and peaceful socialist revolution, and of the violent counter-revolution against it in 1973.
- Chile, Obstinate Memory (1997), the poignant portrait of a nation battling with historical reminiscences.
- The Pinochet Case (2001), the haunting story of the landmark legal case against General Augusto Pinochet before and after his arrest in London in 1998
- Salvador Allende (2004), the poetic and definitive portrait of the Chilean leader; and
- Nostalgia for the Light (2011), the gorgeous, personal meditation on astronomy, archaeology, and politics.
Five Films by Patricio Guzmán will be released on Tuesday, September 29th 2015. On the same date the films will also be available on VOD, including The Battle of Chile, online for the first time ever. Pre-order will be available from August 25th at homevideo.icarusfilms.com
You can read our interview with Patricio Guzmán here.
Follow Sounds and Colours: Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / Mixcloud / Soundcloud / Bandcamp
Subscribe to the Sounds and Colours Newsletter for regular updates, news and competitions bringing the best of Latin American culture direct to your Inbox.