Carlos Reinoso’s Los Bailes Altos Mixtape (Carnival Music from Bolivia and Perú)| 25 February, 2014
Yes, oh god yes! We were looking for something different to celebrate the fact that Carnival is almost upon us, and I think we’ve found it. As part of his excellent La Noche de los Discos Vivientes series on Radio Cómeme, Carlos Reinoso recently published this pretty damn awesome mixtape of Carnival music from Bolivia and Peru, containing the pick of 1970s and 80s 7″ records Reinoso picked up on his recent crate-digging excursions.
With Oruro and Cajamarca carnivals – respectively the most popular carnivals in Bolivia and Perú – both kicking off on March 1st this is the perfect time to get in the mood. The fact that the mix begins with a re-imagining of Rod Stewart’s “Da Ya Think I’m Sexy” is all the more reason to get your teeth stuck into this one. So, what are you waiting – get listening!
1. Banda Juvenil Mayas Amauta “Crees Que Soy Sexy?” (Bolivia, 1980)
2. Primo Aranda “Teru Teru En La Sierra” (Bolivia, 1970)
3. Banda Juvenil Mayas Amauta “Casita De Pobre” (Bolivia, 1980)
4. Grupo Hydra “Llorando Se Fuè” (Bolivia, 1982)
5. Raùl Bustillo Y Su Conjunto “Buen Corazòn” (Bolivia, 1976)
6. Raùl Bustillo Y Su Conjunto “Zamba Negra” (Bolivia, 1976)
7. Orquesta Los Tropicales “Uru Wairas” (Bolivia, 1977)
8. Orquesta Los Tropicales “Morenada N1” (Bolivia, 1977)
9. Los Tucos De Cajamarca “Que Buena Cintura Tienes” (Perù, 1983)
10. El Trovador Andino “Cholo Macho” (Perù, 1979)
11. Banda Sinfonica De Sunicancha “Un Pasajero En El Camino” (Perù, 1969)
12. Zoilo Saavedra Y Su Banda “Torillo No.1” (Bolivia, 1977)
13. Grupo Hydra “Huayayay” (Bolivia, 1982)
14. Orquesta Swingbaly “Cumbia Tropical” (Bolivia, 1966)
15. El Trovador Andino “Quisiera Ser Medallita” (Perù, 1979)
Follow Sounds and Colours: Twitter / Facebook / Google Plus / Mixcloud / Soundcloud / Bandcamp
Subscribe to the Sounds and Colours Newsletter for regular updates, news and competitions bringing the best of Latin American culture direct to your Inbox.