Esto es Sudamerica Mixtape| 17 September, 2010
We thought it was about time we celebrated South America as one, bringing together some of the artists and styles we’ve featured so far on the site, and that we still have to look forward to. We’ve chosen to do this by putting together a mix of folk songs which were mostly recorded in the 50s and 60s, except for a couple of exceptions from the 70s and Susana Baca’s “Caracunde” which was actually recorded quite recently, all of which however carry that same vibe of freshness, timelessness and great musicianship.
We’ve given the compilation a bit of a Peruvian bias as it is Peruvian month here on Sounds and Colours at the moment. We’ve included artists such as Mercedes Sosa, Anibal Velasquez and Vinicius de Moraes who have featured on the site before but yet to get onto one of our mixtapes. We’ve also tried to give a taste of things to come with a couple of songs apiece from Chile and Uruguay, two countries which we’ll be focusing on very soon here on the site.
- Mercedes Sosa – Maria, Maria (Argentina)
- Violeta Parra – El Palomo (Chile)
- Abelardo Vasquez & Cumanana – Prendeme La Vela (Peru)
- Cartola – O Sol Nascerá (A Sorrir) (Brazil)
- Anibal Velasquez – Mambo Loco (Colombia)
- Susana Baca – Caracunde (Peru)
- Eduardo Mateo – Yu-Le-Le (Uruguay)
- Nicomedes Santa Cruz – Inga (Peru)
- Daniel Viglietti & Mario Benedetti – El Diablo en el Paraiso / Refranivocos (Uruguay)
- Mária Creuza, Toquinho & Vinícius de Moraes – Canto de Ossanha (Brazil)
- Chabuca Granda – Fina Estampa (Peru)
- Los Curramberos de Guayabal – Mira Mira (Ell Baila el Pompo) (Colombia)
- Atahualpa Yupqanqui – El Vendedor de Yuyos (Argentina)
- Roberto Rivas & El Conjunto Gente Morena – Enciendete Candela (Peru)
- Los Blops – La Muerte del Rey (Chile)
Download This mix is no longer available
Follow Sounds and Colours: Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / Mixcloud / Soundcloud / Bandcamp
Subscribe to the Sounds and Colours Newsletter for regular updates, news and competitions bringing the best of Latin American culture direct to your Inbox.