North-East England’s ¡VAMOS! Festival Announces an Even Bigger Line-Up for 2012| 25 April, 2012
¡VAMOS! Festival is returning for it’s seventh edition this summer and it’s a bigger and longer festival than ever before. Once a festival based in just Newcastle and Gateshead, it’s now truly representing England’s North East with additional events in Middlesbrough, North Tyneside and Durham. The festival will last for 45 days, celebrating all aspects of Latin culture from 1st June until 15th July.
After having a quick look through the line-up we’re still unsure what the highlights are, though that has to do with the fact that there are just so many to choose from! However, if we had to choose here are just a few of the events we are looking forward to:
- Arto Lindsay‘s Keep Your Hat On carnival procession in honour of Flávio de Carvalho, a Brazilian artist who studied at Durham University in the 1920s (7th July)
- Art commissions for Peruvian Ximena Garrido-Lecca at mima, Middlesbrough and Venezuelan artist Jaime Gili at Tynemouth Station
- UK premiere of Heleno, a big budget film about the 1940s Brazilian football star, which we reviewed here (24th June)
- UK premiere of Peruvian docu-photography exhibition by the Supayfotos collective (Opening Night: 12th June)
- Screening of El Milagro de Candeal, the story of Carlinhos Brown’s musical/social experiment in Salvador’s Candeal Favela (26th June)
- European premiere of El Inca, La Boba y El Hijo De Ladron, a contemporary Peruvian road movie (27th June)
- Tyne Carnival with a music and dance procession along Northumberland Street, Newcastle (30th June)
- DJ Vamonos at the Tyne AKA one of our favourite DJs at one of the best party venues in Newcastle (16th June)
- Launch night featuring Cuban violinist Omar Puente, Colombian group Los Independientes del Vallenato, DJs, dance classes and a retrospective exhibition of photography from ¡VAMOS! Festival 2006-11 (1st June)
Here’s the full ¡VAMOS! Festival programme:
More info at vamosfestival.com
Follow Sounds and Colours: Twitter / Facebook / Google Plus / Mixcloud / Soundcloud / Bandcamp
Subscribe to the Sounds and Colours Newsletter for regular updates, news and competitions bringing the best of Latin American culture direct to your Inbox.